Coffee & Hazelnut Meringue Torte
6 egg whites
1 ½ cups caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
½ cup roasted chopped hazelnuts
1 shot of espresso (or 2 tsp instant coffee + 1 Tbsp hot water)
¼ cup icing sugar
500mls Tatua Culinary & Whipping Cream
¼ cup whole hazelnuts
½ cup water
2 Tbsp water
- Beat egg whites until white and foamy.
- Gradually add the sugar, ¼ cup at a time beating until thick, white and glossy.
- Fold in the vanilla and chopped hazelnuts.
- Make 4 round discs on two lined trays.
- Bake for 1 hour at 160°C then turn oven off and allow to cool for a further 2 hours.
- Whip the Tatua Culinary & Whipping Cream until soft peaks.
- Add the coffee and icing sugar and beat until medium peaks are spoon-able, reserve one cup and set aside.
- Place one meringue disc on a serving plate and spoon over some coffee cream, repeat with the remaining layers.
- Beat the last cup of Tatua Culinary & Whipping Cream until stiff and transfer to a piping bag and decorate the top layer with peaks and hazelnut toffee.
- Toffee - Simmer the sugar, water and nuts in a shallow pan until caramelised, pour out onto a lined baking tray and allow to cool, then break into shards.