Creamy Smoked Fish Pie With Gingered Kumara Mash
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, sliced
¼ cup flour
1 cup fish stock, hot
1 x 450g tinned or fresh smoked fish
200g Tatua Cheese Sauce
2 medium orange or golden kumara
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
Sea salt & cracked pepper
¼ cup grated tasty cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºC. In a medium saucepan, heat oil and sauté onion and garlic until softened but not coloured.
- Add flour and stir over a low heat for 2 minutes then gradually add fish stock stirring until thick and smooth (about 5 minutes).
- Add flaked smoked fish and cheese sauce and simmer for 2-3 minutes until creamy. Spoon into ramekins or mini pots and top with gingered kumara mash.
- For mash - cook kumara in plenty of boiling salted water until soft, drain and mash with butter and ginger and season to taste.
- Sprinkle each kumara topped pie with a little grated cheese and grill or bake for 5-10 minutes until golden and bubbling. Serve with summer salad.
- Makes 4 pies.