Vanilla Bean & Orange Custard
3 egg yolks
½ cup sugar
1 vanilla bean
500mls Tatua Cooking Cream
2 pieces orange peel
1 cinnamon stick
3 cups fresh berries – sliced strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries
20 sponge fingers
¼ cup fruit juice
¼ cup sherry or brandy
Tatua Dairy Whip
- Combine egg yolks and sugar and whisk until pale and foamy.
- Heat the Cooking Cream, vanilla pod, orange peel, and cinnamon stick until near boiling.
- Remove the vanilla, cinnamon and orange pieces.
- Slowly whisk the hot cream into the egg yolks.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and continue to stir over a medium-low heat until thick and glossy. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Arrange the sponge fingers in the base of 4 serving glasses.
- Pour over the combined fruit juice and sherry.
- Add a layer of vanilla custard then a layer of chopped fresh berries.
- Top with another layer of custard and finish with a dollop of Dairy Whip